Saturday, January 23, 2010

Reading...The Reader

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink - Jan 2010

My titles suck...I use up all of my creativity elsewhere and by the time I get to stuff like this, I'm too lazy!

So the book started off quickly, but I found myself losing interest. I honestly 100% think it's my fault for seeing the movie. There are some huge plot points (huge spoilers here) that would have kept me interested...the illiteracy, the conviction, the suicide; one per "part". I hardly ever finish a book the day before we meet up, but this time the only pressure I felt was that of a deadline -- no plot suspense whatsoever. Had it not been for book club, this book may have not passed the 100 pages rule.

NOT that I hated it. I just didn't have that urgency or suspense to keep me going. There wasn't much to keep my interest as far as beautiful prose goes, or words that I got to look up. So it all should have been in the story.

I know some women haven't seen the movie, so I'll see if they lost interest or stayed intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment